Thursday, August 15, 2013

Spindle whorls

I am developing plans to make spindle whorls. My first ones are Viking-era style, per

http://www.stringpage.com/viking/spindles.html

These are soapstone, which is easy to get and to work, and mark them as typically Viking-era.

I'm starting with 1.5" whorls, and the next set will be smaller. The slabs are 9mm thick which seem to be on the lighter weight of stone whorls. Since these are soapstone, they will be discoid in shape. Stone whorls were probably made on-site in the homesteads and there is some indication that they were made of recycled soapstone cooking pots.

I'm using hand tools on these, to keep them from looking manufactured. Saws, drills, sandpaper, etc. (Yes, I know that sandpaper is modern.)

The spindles are going to be oak, which is easy to get at the hardware store; the widest thickness is 8mm.


More pictures later. 

Next? Pewter. And ceramic. 14th century. 

No comments:

Post a Comment