Thursday, July 5, 2012

Same chapter, different verse; on high-fidelity Medieval re-creations

I'm going to presume that further ruminations on the philosophical aspects of authenticity are, at this moment, redundant at best and at worst getting tedious.

Yes, I do want my camp to look like this.
(La Belle Compagnie)
However, some commentary on the practical side to authenticity might be in order.


As a Medieval re-creationst, I strive toward and support efforts toward a high-fidelity version of our scope of study. Although I reject the notion that "good enough" is ever good enough, I am also pragmatic enough to know that making the good the opposite of the best is never in the interest of supporting my goals.

In practice, this means that all efforts are ladder rungs toward the goal. Never mind that the ladder for some reason keeps getting taller. The more we know, the more we research, and the more information that scientific inquiry provides us, the closer we can come to the ideal. Improving skill sets contribute a bit more motvation toward the goal, and although we may never quite get there, each rung accomplished gives the creator - and the creator's friends - a little bit more thrill and a little bit more push to get that rock a little higher up the slope.

Feeling the need to record and share my adventures on the path toward authenticity, I begin a new blog, which is in many ways the mirror of that other blogger site; you know, the one that's been getting all the attention lately. This one is focused on Medieval European topics; clothing of course, but also domestic arts, events, teaching opportunities, and the like.

I welcome you to this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment